J is for Jordan

My first experience of Jordan as a tourist destination was from watching An Idiot Abroad, when Karl Pilkington visit Petra, as soon as I saw it I knew that one day I would want to visit there, too. I know almost nothing about Jordan so decided to Google it to see what comes up.

Petra


The first thing was not positive, it was a Foreign Office warning advising against travel to Jordan, particularly the borders with Syria. It also warns that you should avoid crowds, political demonstrations and protests as they could turn violent. Lastly it mentions there is a "general threat" of terrorism. It also mentions that 87,000 British tourists visited Jordan in 2012, and that most of these visits were trouble free.

In Jordan, Petra is the place I most want to visit. The lost city, known for it's rock- cut architecture and water conduit system, is sometimes known as the Rose City due to the colour of the rocks its set in. The city could have been established as early as 309 BC. Westerner's didn't discover the city until 1800's. It was declared a UNESCO site in 1985.

1337_IMG_1292_Along the Siq to Petra
Source

The area was ruled by the Nabataean's who controlled a vast area of the Middle East. Their innovative ways of water capture, irrigation, transport and storage are still found throughout the area to this day. Scholar's excavating the city say only 15% of it has been uncovered and that the other 85% will hold more of it's secrets.

Petra
Source

Petra
Source

Whilst Petra is probably the most well known tourist attraction in Jordan, it is also the most at threat. There is a chance that the ancient structures could collapse. This could be a result of various factors, including erosions caused by lack of drainage from flood water, weathering, improper restoration, as well as unsustainable tourism. The site has had an influx of visitors since being featured on programme's such as An Idiot Abroad.

Have you been to Jordan? 
Would it bother you going somewhere that has a potential terror threat?


Liked this post? Follow me on social media!

     

Comments

  1. Honestly there's a terror threat for anywhere in the world if you're British or American. When I visited London in February, I couldn't help but think about the bus bombing. People have the same thoughts when they come to Boston, NYC, DC, or any major city in the world. Unfortunately, terrorism has become an undeniable risk of life anywhere, but if we let the risk/fear of it stop us from seeking to fulfill our dreams, then the terrorists have won. I'd love to see Petra, and if we ever have the opportunity to do so, we will - not without careful planning and caution, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I get what you mean. I think they meant more about the proximity to Syria and everything going on there tho' at the moment.

      Delete
  2. I wanna go to Petra so bad - my inner Indiana Jones :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Niice, you know I have never seen Indiana Jones?!

      Delete
  3. Ha ha - An idiot abroad - hilarious! Jordan is on my list too! And your post and gorgeous pictures want me to go even more! Amazing Sammi:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hilarious, isn't it?! I love listening to Karl Pilkington. Thanks for your kind comments.

      Delete
  4. I felt completely safe in Jordan. The people are so friendly..always stopping you to say welcome and thank you for coming to visit their country. Petra is stunning but there is so much more to Jordan than Petra so don't miss out on the other spots as well! ( I wrote about them in my J post !!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, Jenny, it's exciting that you've already been. I will go and visit your J post :)

      Delete
  5. I better get to Petra soon - I did not know it could possibly collapse. What a great loss that would be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it?! I could hardly believe it, apparently it's to do with the way it's been excavated.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Discovering the Golden Circle with Time Tours Iceland

Fuerteventura Facts, Introducing the Island I lived On

Packing List: Iceland