Each Tuesday from now on I'll be hosting interviews with other travel bloggers, to help you discover more blogs and even more inspiration to travel. If you want to be part of this series please contact me.
1. For those who don't know you, introduce yourself and your blog
I’m Syd and I run the lifestyle/travel/bike/whatever blog Free Wheel Life Blog.
2. Are you a light packer or an overpacker, what one thing can’t survive without?
I’m kinda of a light packer, in that I never bring more than one pair of pants. But I do sometimes travel with 2-3 bicycles, and most people
wouldn’t call that light.
3. Do you plan your trips, or just go with the flow?
Definitely go with the flow…
4. Where has been your favourite place to visit to date?
NEW ZEALAND. Specifically Rotorua, but really just all of New Zealand.
5. Where is currently at the top of your list to visit?
I really want to go back to British Columbia. I was there for a week this past summer, but that wasn’t nearly enough.
6. What is the best experience you've had whilst travelling?
I don’t know where to begin to narrow it down, but on my most recent trip to Italy, the highlight was definitely kayaking out to see a lava flow on Stromboli island.
7. What tip would you give to other travellers?
Don’t fall victim to the hype. Don’t feel like you have to do stuff just because other people are excited about it. Do what sounds cool to you and chuck the rest.
8. You’re a fearless mountain biking Goddess, how do you get into something like that? It’s lead to some pretty amazing things for you, what has been your favourite moment? What has been worst?
I’ve been riding mountain bikes since age ten, so it’s a huge part of my life. There are so many best moments – every time you get to the top of a mountain on your own power, that’s a fabulous feeling. Or when you do something technical, like a jump or a rock feature that you’ve never been able to do before, it’s awesome. As for worst moments, well, traveling with mountain bikes can be REALLY frustrating, especially when you’re flying. And I did smack my face this summer and end up getting seven stitches, which wasn’t awesome.
9. You’re completely nomadic, and have even lived in a Sprinter for almost 3 months, how did that go? How would you describe an average day in your life?
There literally is no average day. That’s what makes it awesome. I’m currently spending four weeks with my boyfriend at my parent’s house in Ohio, so our average day is pretty chill – training, yard work, blog stuff, etc. But this summer was completely crazy – every single day was a new adventure and that’s how I like it. But you have to have SOME downtime every now and then to mentally reboot.
10. Your blog is chock- full of inspirational posts- my favourite being “You’re Not Ready (To Race, or Travel, or Follow Your Dreams)”. What do you look to for inspiration? And what’s the next adventure for you & Macky?
I’m glad you liked that post! As for what I look to for inspiration, that’s a tough one. I’m really inspired by the women I compete with, and by anyone who can stay positive when things aren’t going their way, as that is something I struggle with.
The next mini adventure is a trip to an indoor mountain bike park in Cleveland (woo!!) and the next big adventure is a two week venture to Thailand with Macky’s entire family!